Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Up, Up, Up the Spiral Stairway



Sometimes you've got to "walk on the wild side" to experience a memorable moment :)

Baker Park is one of the joys of Frederick, Maryland. Encompassing 35 acres in the heart of the city, it features a bandshell, ball diamonds, tennis courts, playgrounds, picnic areas and a swimming pool. 


But its distinguishing feature is the beautiful Joseph Dill Baker Memorial Carillon (see picture above). Originally built in 1941 with 14 bells, it now houses 49 bells, and delights listeners with Sunday concerts throughout the summer months.


Last Monday afternoon, my three-year-old grandson Caleb asked his mother if they could go to "Bacon Park". My wife Connie and I were invited to accompany Caleb, his one-year-old brother Sam, and my daughter Aleen. We readily agreed :)


The day was beautiful, and many children were playing in the sandbox, on the swings or jungle gym.


But Caleb heard the bells.


He had heard them on earlier visits, and was enchanted by them. Normally they toll each quarter hour, but this day we heard musical arrangements. Were they computer-generated or was there a living musician inside?


We ambled past a fountain toward the carillon. Caleb petted several small dogs along the way, and was briefly distracted by a college student sitting on a bench, playing his Fender resonator guitar.


Walking to the carillon entrance, I noticed that its huge, ornate door was ajar. Slipping inside, I saw a handmade sign indicating that the carillon was in use and welcoming us to "come on up". 


Excitedly, I rushed back to my daughter to share the good news. (In retrospect, I guess I was as interested in this adventure as Caleb was.) We entered the tower, only to realize that carrying two small boys up the spiral stairway was a significant challenge. I lifted Caleb into my arms while Aleen carried Sam.


The first stairway was perhaps 20 feet high. It led to a landing area where we could "rest up". Then up the second stairway (15 feet?) to the room where the carillonneur sat at the console - a keyboard (called a baton) and a pedal keyboard beneath his feet.
The carillonneur was a student, a friendly young man who allowed Caleb to sit on the bench beside him and play several of the bells. Aleen took a picture of this with her cellphone camera. We looked up through a trapdoor and saw several of the giant bells above.


I had been nervous carrying my grandson up the stairway, but going down was far worse. I elected to hold him firmly with both hands, leaning back slightly against the steel handrail for support. We all inched our way down. Then it was off to the playground again, and Caleb was soon high on the jungle gym.


Caleb may not remember this day in future years. He will have lots of other things to occupy his thoughts. But for this grandfather, it was a gentle, precious adventure. It may not rank up there with your greatest feats, but I hope to remember our "wild climb" to the end of my days :)

2 comments:

  1. Let me tell you - when you're playing a tennis match at Baker Park, having someone up there playing the bells isn't necessarily a beautiful thing. :)

    ReplyDelete