Friday, April 2, 2010

At the Cross with California Girls


Today we commemorate the ultimate hinge of history. This is Good Friday, the day in Holy Week when Jesus' death for us is remembered and solemnly observed.

Early this morning, I met with five other men at a local diner. We come together on Friday mornings to pray and study the Bible. We are a "Ten-Man Table" of Waterboyz for Jesus, a local men's ministry that involves several hundred men each week.

This morning's scripture was John 19, part of the crucifixion narrative. We read the chapter aloud, then turned our attention to writing down individual observations. Soon we would share with each other in turn.

Several of us focused on Jesus' statements from the cross:
(a) To Mary: "Woman, behold your son."
(b) To John: "Behold your mother."
(c) To those nearby: "I thirst."
(d) To all of creation: "It is finished."

The time had come for our meeting to close with prayer.

Suddenly the silent jukebox came to life:

"Well, east coast girls are hip, I really dig those styles they wear
And the southern girls with the way they talk, they knock me out when I'm down there,
The mid-west farmers' daughters really make you feel alright,
And the northern girls with the way they kiss, they keep their boyfriends warm at night.
I WISH THEY ALL COULD BE CALIFORNIA
I WISH THEY ALL COULD BE CALIFORNIA
I WISH THEY ALL COULD BE CALIFORNIA GIRLS..."

I had to laugh!

My attention was immediately diverted. We had been focused on the Word of God, communicating spiritual ideas, but suddenly I was distracted.

I had to plug my ears as I closed in prayer.

And I glimpsed a bigger truth.

On this holy day (and every day) my attention is easily drawn away from "The Main Thing." A snatch of music or a photograph carries me away from the holy to the mundane, from the sublime to the inconsequential.

I've been forgiven of my sins, reborn into God's family, filled with His life and love. I've been called to glorify Him, to love Him, to serve Him and enjoy Him forever.

But if all I can rely on is my own virtue, I am weak and needy. I am still broken, still vulnerable.

I must be forever vigilant. There are "foes without and within." When I am spiritually at ease, I become an easy mark for the enemy, easily tempted, easily drawn away.

God help me. God have mercy on me.

"I need Thee every hour!"

2 comments:

  1. How true is that...God have mercy indeed! Good words Gary~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kathy, the older I get the more I see how much mercy I need. Blessings to you today...

    ReplyDelete