Tuesday, April 6, 2010

"Our People Die Well"


My old friend, Dr. Stephen Elliott, writes:

"People remember how we begin and how we end, but very little in between. I have seen every variation on this truism:
(1) people who began poorly and ended poorly;
(2) people who began poorly, but ended well;
(3) people who began well, but ended poorly;
(4) people who began well and ended well.
If you are starting or ending something, make sure you start or end well. That is what people will remember."

No matter how we began life, it's important that we end life well.

Once asked for a key to the success of early Methodists, John Wesley reportedly said, "Our people die well."

When I come to the end of life's journey I'll look back over my days, hoping that my actions have resulted in some good for others, some benefit for my children and grandchildren and those who follow.

I'm concerned about my legacy. I don't want my living to have been in vain.

This recalls the 20th century song:

If I can help somebody, as I pass along,
If I can cheer somebody, with a word or song,
If I can show somebody, how they're travelling wrong,
Then my living shall not be in vain...


If I can do my duty, as a Christian ought,
If I can bring back beauty, to a world upwrought,
If I can spread love's message, as the Master taught,
Then my living shall not be in vain.         
(author & copyright unknown)


END WELL!

No comments:

Post a Comment