Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Donald Miller: Art and the Artist


Donald Miller has been a "cool" Christian author for several years now.

That is to say, it seems to be a "cool" thing to be reading him, and the "cool" Christians I know (all three of them) seem to have read him.
 
You may know him through his bestsellers BLUE LIKE JAZZ and SEARCHING FOR GOD KNOWS WHAT.

Though I don't always agree with him, he is almost always interesting and thought-provoking.
His blog is one I check regularly, and I was intrigued by his recent post:


It's short enough to read in a minute or two. Note particularly his comments about Steven King.

Are there any artists, poets or musicians who care to respond and discuss the "freedom" you feel while creating?

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, ol' Don does have some interesting things to say. Sometimes he's trying way too hard, sometimes he seems to want to be hipper than he really is, but I did like Blue Like Jazz, and I do think there's room in Christendom for a voice like his. But is Stephen (can't believe he misspelled Stephen King's name!) King free - freer than the theologian? Really? Can he write whatever he wants and have it succeed? He can because he's absurdly wealthy, but he really can't just do whatever. Yes, it's the formula he created - but it's still a formula, and he can't just ignore it unless he's willing to accept commercial failure. I, on the other hand, can do whatever I want - since my adoring public love everything I create. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Roger, you almost make me LOL :)

    ReplyDelete