Tuesday, July 20, 2010

The Night

I’ve played music a long long time
Collected hundreds of memories
over 56 years

Precious memories
Funny ones
Good friendships
If there are painful memories
I’ve forgotten them already

This is a big big memory:
A milestone
My first foursome
One night only
First year of college
Coffee house
Jesus people
Darkness
Candles maybe

Steinway grand,
Finest keys I ever played
Seemed 20 feet long in the darkness

One Don on bass
Improvising, harmonic, inventive

Another Don drumming
Intuitive, clever, a natural

Doug on Hagstrom guitar
Listening, riffing, complementing

Never before had I played with four
Weren’t we all stunned?
Weren’t we all transfixed?

It felt like magic
It sounded like heaven
or its musical equivalent

Wow!
A door was opened
And we all walked through it
never to return

A beautiful musical moment
A connection
The only night ever
with that particular foursome
The Night.

4 comments:

  1. I assume this would be Hicks, Ingersoll, Hicks & Spearman?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yes, I wish you'd been there. Maybe you had a similar experience when you first played with four?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Karl,
    Hope you and Elaine are doing well.
    Did you enjoy Creation?

    ReplyDelete